About 491 Skilled-Worker Regional Provisional Visa
If you want to migrate to Australia, then here is good news for you. The Australian Government is bringing 491 Visa which is coming into effect from 16 November. The new 491 visa will replace the all-in-class 489 visa. This is a Skilled Regional visa.
Changes in Visa Policy
To achieve this the government will introduce the following changes:
A reviewed points system linked with the candidates’ eligibility to make the greatest economic contribution. Additional points will be awarded for skilled spouse/de-facto partners, and spouse/de-facto partners with ‘competent English’, primary applicants skilled in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) occupations, and applicant’s being sponsored to settle in designated regional areas...
New visa conditions which will require the visa holders to live, work and study in regional Australia and prevent them from accessing other skilled/family visa programs for three years.
Points System for this 491 visa
The Explanatory Statement of the new Regulation Instrument states that 65 points will be required to apply for subclass 491 visas after 16 November 2019 under the point system. In July last year, the cut-off limit of points was increased from 60 to 65.
Now for most visas, the applicant needs at least 65 points.
The government has made it clear that in the case of new regional visas, no exemption will be given in the point system and the cutoff limit will remain 65.
However, in the case of regional visas, many types of exemptions have been given, which do not apply to other visas such as all classes 189 and 190.
To get the 491 Visa you must have fulfil following criteria:
- You must be below 45 years of age at the time of request;
- You must have Proficient in English;
- You must have a related occupation on a skilled occupation list from Australian Government;
- You must have appropriate skills assessment for the occupation;
- You must fulfill points criteria;
- You must be sponsored by an eligible relative or nominated by a territory or state government agency.
- You meet public interest criteria including character and health requirements.
Revised points test
- 15 points for sponsorship given by family member residing in regional Australia or nomination by Territory or State government, to live and work in regional Australia
- 10 points for the skilled spouse or de facto partner
- 10 points for STEM qualifications
- 5 points for a de-facto partner with ‘competent English’
- 10 points for candidates with no spouse or de facto partner
However, the points will depend on age, education, work experience abroad, a study in Australia and English, etc.
If you want to migrate to Australia then we are offering the best services, consultation, and guidance to you. You can fill the free assessment form and get a call from our agent or you can contact us from the details given on the contact page.