Employer Nomination Scheme - 186
After being nominated by their employer, skilled workers can live and work permanently in Australia with the help of this visa. The Labour Agreement stream may be appropriate if you currently work for or soon plan to start working for an employer that is a signatory to a labour agreement.
Direct Entry stream
Who this visa is for:
The Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) agrees for eligible Australian employers to sponsor appropriately skilled external employees to live and work permanently in Australia.
This nominated visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by an employer, live and work in Australia forever.
- Nomination by an Australian employer.
- Language prerequisite is a minimum of competency in English.
- The applicant must be officially skilled in their occupation and have worked for a minimum of 3 years at a capable level in their occupation.
Is 186 a permanent visa?
The Subclass 186 visa is a permanent residency visa that requires a nominating employer's sponsorship. The 186 Visa is commonly used by existing 482 TSS Visa holders (or former 457 holders) to transition to Permanent Residence, but this visa can also be used to apply for Permanent Residence directly.
What if 186 nominations were refused?
If your employer's ENS Subclass 186 Nomination is denied, the Department will also deny your ENS Subclass 186 Permanent Visa application.
This scheme has three variants:
1. Direct Entry stream
This stream lets skilled workers, who are nominated by an employer, live and work in Australia permanently.
2. Labour agreement stream
This stream enables skilled workers who have been nominated by their employer to live and work permanently in Australia. The Labour Agreement stream may be for you if you currently work for or will soon start working for an employer who is a party to a labour agreement.
3. Temporary Residence Transition stream
This nominated visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently.
Also Read - Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional - 494
With this visa, you can
- Live, work and study in Australia indefinitely.
- Invite family members who qualify to visit Australia.
- Apply for Australian citizenship if qualified.
- Have work experience that is on the list of suitably skilled occupations.
- Have at least three years of applicable work experience unless you are exempt.
- Have a positive skills assessment unless you are exempt from employment.